Grant Park Image Collections

Images From The GSU Pullen Library Collections

Neighborhood History

Click on an image in the gallery to load a larger version of that image.
The images in this gallery have been drawn from two online galleries of the Special Collections Department (SCD) of the Georgia State University William Russell Pullen Library: the Tracy W. O'Neal Collection and the Lane Brothers Commercial Photographers Collection.

New image location: http://digitalcollections.library.gsu.edu/cdm/ (as of July 2012)

The Tracy W. O'Neal Collection consists of about 31,500 4x5 inch acetate negatives. The collection spans the years 1923 to 1975 with the bulk of the negatives dating from 1950 to 1974. Some of the images are copy negatives of photographs which date as early as 1889. The collection documents the history and social life of Atlanta, Georgia through images of organizations, events, facilities, and portraits.

The Lane Brothers Commercial Photographers Photographic Collection consists of about 258,100 acetate negatives. The collection spans the years 1920 to 1976 with the bulk of the negatives dating from 1939 to 1975. Some of the images are copy negatives of photographs which date as early as 1864. The collection consists of photographic negatives and prints of the Lane Brothers Commercial Photographers (Atlanta, Ga.) and its predecessor, the Lane Brothers Photo News Service, from ca. 1920-1976. Early materials (1920's-1939) include glass plate negatives and photographs taken by Jack Lane and his brother W.C. Lane as freelance photographers for the Atlanta News, other newspapers, and wire services. The bulk of the collection consists of images of the Atlanta, Georgia area documenting its economic growth, social changes, and political activities over the years.

The SCD collects and preserves unique and rare historical materials in selected subject areas. The department promotes the use of these materials by the Georgia State University community, scholars and the public. Its goal is to advance scholarship and to further the educational, research and service missions of the university.

All images in this gallery are the property of the William Russell Pullen Library and are being used by permission of the library. To view the collections in their entirety visit the SCD's website at http://www.library.gsu.edu/spcoll/Avcoll/.

Special thanks to Pullen Library photography archivist, Peter J. Roberts, for his assistance in this project.